Your insider’s guide to getting outside in the northern Berkshires.
Many Types of Hikes
- Art in Nature: Thomas Schutte’s Crystal atop the Clark’s Stone Hill (Williamstown). Challenge level: easy
- Butterfly and bird watching: Mountain Meadow and The Spruces (Williamstown). Challenge level: easy
- Gentle walk through manicured pastures: Sheep Hill (Williamstown). Challenge level: easy to moderate open grassy trails with some steep sections.
- Short, steep, and sweet: Pine Cobble (Williamstown). Challenge level: moderate.
- Panoramic views of the Hopper and the Greylock Range: Haley Farm Trail to Stony Ledge (Williamstown). Challenge level: moderate to difficult.
- The ultimate day hike (with food incentive): Climb to the summit of Mount Greylock for three-state views and a meal at Bascom Lodge (dinner reservations required). Challenge level: moderate to challenging depending on which route you take and whether you hike or get a ride down.
All Kinds of Bikes
- Mountain Bike: Pittsfield State Forest (Pittsfield) and Greylock Glen (Adams). Both offer awesome single track.
- Gravel Bike: Ride north to Vermont and pick up great gravel loops. Check out this loop from Williams College Prof and bike packing expert Joe Cruz.
- Downhill Lift-served Bike: Jiminy Peak (Hancock). Full suspension bikes and body armor are recommended!
- Road Bike: Ride up the highest mountain in Massachusetts! Approach Mount Greylock from North Adams or Lanesborough (less steep) and ride down the other side for a 35+ mile loop. Or skip the climb and bike around the base of the mountain or any of the country roads in the region. Check in at The Spoke for more ideas or for a tune up.
Swing and Zip through Trees
Epic Swimming Holes
Hoosic River Watershed
The Hoosic River flows north from Adams, through North Adams, Williamstown, and Pownal. You can enjoy many low impact recreational activities along the river and its tributaries. Go fishing, take a bike ride, hike, and paddle! The Hoosic River Watershed Association (HooRWA) is the place to go to learn more.
More Ways to Get Outdoors
- Golf. Enjoy one of the best college golf courses in the world at Taconic Golf Club (Williamstown).
- Whitewater! Raft, kayak, or innertube the Deerfield River with Zoar Outdoor (Charlemont). Remember to check for dam release times.
- Find inspiring horticulture at Bee Friendly’s Pollinator Garden at Spruces Park (Williamstown), Berkshire Botanical Garden (Stockbridge), and Bridge of Flowers (Shelburne Falls).
The Most Natural Sleeping Accomodations
- Guest House at Field Farm (Williamstown). Plush, but located on a Trustees land with trails and gorgeous views.
- Mount Greylock Campsite Park (Lanesborough)
- Wigwam Western Summit cabins (North Adams)
- Privacy Campground (south Williamstown)
- Savoy Mountain State Forest Campground (Florida)
- Clarksburg State Park Campground (Clarksburg)
We look forward to seeing you on the trails!
Explore other trip ideas: